UB Students having fun.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When should I apply for financial aid?

A: You should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1. Please note that you must file by March 1 if you wish to be considered for campus-based funds, such as College Work-Study Awards, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), and Perkins and Health Professions Loans.

Q: How will I know if I am eligible for federal aid?

A: You will receive a federal Student Aid Report (SAR) 4-6 weeks after filing the FAFSA. Your SAR will indicate your expected family contribution (EFC) for federal student aid programs as calculated by the federal processor. The federal EFC is used by the Office of Financial Aid in determining your eligibility. You will then be notified of your eligibility with an award letter by the Office of Financial Aid.

Q: What do I do when I receive my SAR?

A: Review your SAR for errors. Make corrections if necessary and mail back to the Federal Student Aid processor. If no corrections are needed, retain the SAR for your files. It is not necessary for you to forward your SAR to our office. Your financial information will be electronically transferred to UB.
DO NOT MAIL your tax return or SAR to our office unless requested by the Financial Aid Office at UB.

Q: I’ve been told I probably will not qualify for financial aid. Should I even bother to apply?

A: Yes, you should. Many factors are taken into consideration to determine a family’s financial need, and each family's circumstances are unique. In most cases Federal loans are available to students and/or parents. You cannot know what you qualify for without completing the application process!

Q: Will I be eligible for the same amount of financial aid at every college to which I apply?

A: No. Since each college has different costs, your financial aid will vary from one school to another. The more expensive colleges will tend to offer you more financial aid to help you meet their higher costs.

Q: Are all families/students expected to contribute toward educational expenses?

A: Yes. The U.S. Department of Education has determined that if a student is dependent upon his or her parents for support, then the expected family contribution will include an amount from that student and his or her parents. If a student is independent, then the EFC will include an amount from that student.

Q: If my parents are divorced or separated, which parent should provide the information required to apply for aid?

A: Use information about the parent whom you lived with the most during the past twelve months. If you spent and equal amount of time with each parent, use information for the parent who provided the most financial support for you. Support would include money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothing, medical care, etc.

Child support payments from your other parent will be taken into consideration, as will information about the income and assets of any step-parent. We realize these situations can be sensitive and complicated. Please feel free to discuss your individual circumstances with one of our counselors. All information will remain confidential.

Q: In addition to applying for financial aid, is there any other resource or service that can help me meet my financial obligations to UB?

A: Yes. UB offers a payment plan to pay semester costs in four convenient installments. Learn more from the Office of Student Accounts, call 716-645-1800 or email UBstudentaccounts@buffalo.edu. The deadline for application is the first day of classes each semester. However, if you subscribe in the fall, you need not complete a spring application. Also, scholarship information is available on our web pages.

Last updated: October 25, 2016 12:05 pm EST

Contact CPMC

Contact EOP