What makes me eligible for the McNair Program?
You need to:
- Have least a sophomore standing at UB, if you are a transfer student you must have completed at least one semester at UB.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Be a first generation college student from an economically disadvantaged background (United States Department of Education information on family income levels)—or be a member of an underrepresented group in higher education (i.e. African-American/Black; Hispanic/Latino; Native American/Alaskan; Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, or Blended Ethnicity from list above)—or both.
- Be committed to attending graduate school with the goal of earning a doctorate.
In addition, the United States Department of Education requires that all candidates must:
- Hold United States citizenship or be a permanent resident of the United States (documentation required).
Must I be in a certain major in order to be considered?
No, as long as your field of study leads to a PhD or EdD Those interested in studying for the JD, MD, PharmD, or other professional degrees will not usually qualify unless they are interested in also pursuing the PhD.
Can I apply if I am a senior?
Seniors are accepted on a very limited basis. The goal of the McNair Program is to spend as much time as possible to help prepare undergraduate students for graduate school. Entering the program as a senior limits our opportunity to assist you to the best of our abilities.
If accepted, to what do I have to do?
You will be obligated to:
- Be an active participant in the program.
- Attend a one-credit seminar (CPM 499) that meets once a week (Fall and Spring semesters) on Fridays from 3:00 – 5:00 pm. Seminars include topics relating to graduate school, research, life skills, and other related issues.
- Participate in at least one summer research internship experience that meets from mid/late May through mid/late July each year. The experience provides you with a $2,800 stipend and requires at least 20 hours per week conducting faculty-supervised research.
- Prepare to take, and sitting for, the GRE exam.
- Present your faculty-supervised research, in oral format, at the UB McNair Undergraduate Research Conference during the summer of one of your years with us.
- Presenting your faculty-supervised research, in oral or poster formats, at other discipline-specific conferences, if available.
- Travel to various graduate schools of interest.
Last updated: October 25, 2016 1:24 pm EST